Caramel Surprise Chocolate Chip Cookies
This has been my go-to cookie recipe for more than twenty years. I love the responses I get from people who try to guess what the surprise center is. I always double, and sometimes triple, this recipe when taking it to potlucks. —Becky McClaflin, Blanchard, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (5 ounces) Milk Duds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream first four ingredients until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Wrap each around a Milk Dud; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 176 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Surprise Chocolate Chip Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018