- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 caramels, halved and flattened
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place one caramel on each cooled cookie. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening; spread over cookies. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until firm. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forCaramel Pecan Treasures
"I must have used the old caramels because mine didn't turn out that great. Next time I plan on microwaving the caramels first and then adding them to the cookie."
"I made these cookies last Christmas and they were YUMMY! I didn't think they took any extra time and they were definately impressive. Just make sure you use "fresh" caramels and not ones sitting in your cupboard for how long?"