Caramel-Pecan Monkey Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (20 servings)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup melted butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, eggs and 5 tablespoons melted butter; stir in 1/4 cup sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Punch dough down; shape into 40 balls (about 1-1/4-in. diameter). Pour remaining melted butter in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Dip balls in butter, then roll in sugar mixture.
- For caramel, bring brown sugar, butter and cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Pour half of the caramel into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan; layer with half the pecans and half the dough balls; repeat. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 30-40 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil for last 10 minutes if top browns too quickly.) Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- For optional glaze, beat cream cheese and butter until blended; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over warm bread.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 334 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 13, 2017
I cheated and used frozen dinner rolls but I love the caramel sauce. It makes for a wonderful variation and everyone devoured it.
Dec 16, 2015
It is not a sweet bread, and it seems to be dry. It was better when it was sliced and toasted with butter. Made three in a row , it was ok but I wanted a sweet bread.
Sep 25, 2015
I love it I remember making this wonderful snek. So I seen it so now I'm going to do it for my kids.
Oct 7, 2014
I love monkey bread...especially when it's flavored like my favorite pecan rolls. Yum! And, frankly, the name Monkey Bread is just so darn cute! Does anyone know why it's called monkey bread?
Mar 16, 2014
We made these for a church breakfast and everyone loved them! The best monkey bread I've ever tasted? Definitely a keeper!
Feb 3, 2013
Most delicious caramel bread I have ever made, it's moist -the pecans are very tasty,perfect pecan blend. My kids love it. Best of all the next day it's still soft and moist full of flavor.Favorite Mag.
Jan 10, 2013
I'm sure these are good. I have one question. Would a stand mixer work for these or is there a more powerful mixer out there that is not one of those expensive Cuisinarts?
Mar 5, 2012
Does the dough have to be refrigerated overnight or can it made right away? I've never made bread before. Usually the recipes call for the dough to rise twice before baking.
Mar 5, 2012
This is a holiday favorite for my familly. There are rarely any left overs! The only thing I do differently is add extra cinnamon to my dough as I'm rolling them into balls.
Jan 11, 2012
These are so good while they are warm. They can be warmed slightly in microwave to make them taste fresh.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.