Caramel-Pecan Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the caramels, milk and butter over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Beat in the water, applesauce, egg whites, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan well coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until center is set. Spread caramel mixture evenly over cake; top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 18-23 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the top layer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 318 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 8, 2014
The chopped chocolate didn't make sense, I melted it and the bars came out great.
Nov 20, 2011
Its death its so good
Nov 27, 2010
Recipe to just chop chocolate, which I did, chocolate did not melt, nasty. Will never make again.