Caramel-Pecan Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the caramels, milk and butter over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Beat in the water, applesauce, egg whites, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan well coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until center is set. Spread caramel mixture evenly over cake; top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 18-23 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the top layer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 318 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 8, 2014
The chopped chocolate didn't make sense, I melted it and the bars came out great.
Nov 20, 2011
Its death its so good
Nov 27, 2010
Recipe to just chop chocolate, which I did, chocolate did not melt, nasty. Will never make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.