- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the caramels, milk and butter over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Beat in the water, applesauce, egg whites, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan well coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 14-18 minutes or until center is set. Spread caramel mixture evenly over cake; top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 18-23 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the top layer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forCaramel-Pecan Chocolate Cake
"The chopped chocolate didn't make sense, I melted it and the bars came out great."
"Its death its so good"