Caramel Pear Cake
I love making this upside-down cake when fresh pears are in season.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 28 caramels
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Whipped cream
- Arrange pear slices in rows in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the caramels with a 1/2 cup water; stir in butter until smooth. Pour over pears.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and remaining water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour over the caramel layer.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve with whipped cream.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Hershey caramels.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 288 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Pear Cake in Country Extra March 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.