VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 28 caramels
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Whipped cream
- Arrange pear slices in rows in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a saucepan, melt the caramels with a 1/2 cup water; stir in butter until smooth. Pour over pears. In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, eggs and remaining water. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour over the caramel layer.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. SErve with whipped cream. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Pear Cake in Country Extra March 2003, p51