Caramel Nut Logs
It’s a good thing this recipe makes a lot—the wrapped logs never stick around long! They take a bit of effort to make but are well worth it. —Karen Haen, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 4 cups (1-1/3 pounds) chopped salted peanuts, divided
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup, divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional chopped salted peanuts
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 cups peanuts; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 2/3 cup corn syrup and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a heat-proof large bowl until stiff peaks form. With mixer running on high speed, carefully add hot syrup in a slow steady stream, beating constantly at high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cover and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the remaining sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Gradually pour hot syrup into egg white mixture; stir with a wooden spoon. Stir in the butter, vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture over peanuts in pan; press down evenly with buttered fingers.
- For coating, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, 1/2 cup cream and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; add remaining cream. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 242° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and salt. Pour over nougat layer in pan. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts, pressing slightly into nougat. Cool for at least 2 hours or until set. Cut into 1-1/2 in. x 1-in. pieces. Roll edges in additional peanuts and shape into logs. Wrap in waxed paper. Store at room temperature.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 107 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Carmel Nut Logs in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.