Caramel Nut Candy
You can stir up a batch of these coconut-coated peanut caramel logs in no time, since they're made in the microwave! Both of my sons-in-law rate these as their favorite homemade candies.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 28 caramels
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 to 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Place caramels, butter and cream in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on medium for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 1-2 minutes more, stirring every minute, until smooth. Stir in sugar until smooth. Add peanuts. Gently fold in marshmallows.
- Sprinkle coconut in a 10-in. x 5-in. strip onto two sheets of waxed paper; spoon caramel mixture down the center of coconut. Using the waxed paper, coat caramel with coconut and roll into two 10-in. logs. Discard waxed paper. Wrap logs in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours. Remove plastic wrap. Cut logs into 1/2-in. slices. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 160 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Nut Candy in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998