Caramel-Nut Candy Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 packages (11-1/2 ounces each) milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 5 teaspoons water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips and shortening at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Spread half of the mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm. Set remaining chocolate mixture aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the caramels, water and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Stir in pecans. Spread over chocolate layer.
- Heat reserved chocolate mixture if necessary to achieve spreading consistency; spread over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut candy into 1-1/2-in. x 1-in. bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 86 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2013
I've been making these for years, and they are always the hit of my Christmas cookie tray. Keep them chilled right up until serving time since the caramel layer will tend to melt quickly. If I'm giving them as a gift or need the tray to hold longer, I wrap them individually.