Caramel Macadamia Nut Brownies
One bite and you'll agree this is the most delectable brownie you'll ever sink your teeth into. Eat it with a fork to enjoy every last morsel of chocolate, caramel and nuts. —Jamie Bursell, Juneau, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until blended; beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium-high heat without stirring until syrup is golden, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream over low heat until small bubbles form around edge of pan. Gradually stir cream into syrup (mixture will boil up). Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Pour over brownies to within 1/4 in. of edges. Sprinkle with chips and nuts. Bake at 325° for 5 minutes (do not let chips melt completely). Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Lift out of the pan; remove foil. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Macadamia Nut Brownies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.