- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, milk and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber in color. Transfer to a small bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Yield: 1-1/3 cups.
Reviews forCaramel Frosting
"My family are brown sugar /caramel connoisseurs. I made this frosting for a cinnamon bun cake that we used to celebrate my grandma's 93rd bday. I doubled it and used half and half instead of milk. Omgh! This could be used to make penuche fudge if you wanted too. Best recipe ever! Everyone wanted the recipe. It will definitely be a family favorite!"
"Delicious! I doubled this recipe to frost a 9x13 spice cake I had made. It was the absolute perfect combination! I will definitely be making this again."
"This frosting is really rich and delicious; however, I found that I had to make three recipes in order to frost a three layer jam cake. The cake has to be frosted quickly because the frosting begins to thicken to an un-spreadable consistency. I simply reheated with a little more butter and milk to continue spreading. It's not the best looking cake I've ever made, but, it will taste good. Will I use this again? Yes."
"I loved brown sugar frosting. This was great!"
"Very good frosting, enough for 12 cupcakes!!"