Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, potatoes and chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 3 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a thick pouring consistency. Pour over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 415 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 20, 2016
This was so good! Picky kids thought it was great! We went to a dig your own potato farm so had potatoes 4 ways for dinner- including dessert.My 8 year old made it (with some help) and loved the history behind the recipe.New family staple!!
May 24, 2009
This cake is very yummy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.