- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, place eight scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm. In a bowl, combine whipping cream and vanilla. In another bowl, combine coconut, cornflakes and cinnamon.
- Remove scoops of ice cream from freezer; wearing plastic gloves, shape the ice cream into balls. Dip balls into cream mixture, then roll in coconut mixture, making sure to coat entire surface. Place coated balls on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze at least 3 hours or until firm.
- For caramel sauce, heat sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until partially melted and golden, stirring occasionally. Add butter. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until sauce is thick and golden; keep warm.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Fry ice cream balls until golden, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with caramel sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCaramel Fried Ice Cream
"These were absolutely delicious! I found 30 seconds is a smidge too long. 15 to 20 worked best."