Caramel Dumpling Pudding
I found this recipe handwritten into an old cookbook of my mom's, who was born in 1897. We like to eat this old-fashioned dessert warm, topped with cream, ice cream or whipped cream. -Marianne Ryan, Lyons, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch each nutmeg and salt
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Ice cream
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and milk just until blended. Stir in the remaining brown sugar. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls over sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Spoon into dishes. Serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 723 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 138g carbohydrate (107g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Dumpling Pudding in Reminisce Extra February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.