I found this recipe handwritten into an old cookbook of my mom's, who was born in 1897. We like to eat this old-fashioned dessert warm, topped with cream, ice cream or whipped cream. -Marianne Ryan, Lyons, Colorado
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch each nutmeg and salt
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Ice cream
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and milk just until blended. Stir in the remaining brown sugar. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls over sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Spoon into dishes. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Dumpling Pudding in Reminisce Extra February 2001, p52
Reviews forCaramel Dumpling Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2009
"This is so YUMMY!!! I make it ell the time during the cold months. My family can not get enough!"