Caramel Date Pinwheels
When I want to make a cookie with fruit in it, this recipe is my first choice. It turns out well each time and has earned plenty of praise, including ribbons at our state fair.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped red candied cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the dates, water and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Cool completely.
- Divide dough in half; roll one portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up into a tight jelly roll, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices with a sharp knife; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 43 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.