- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook and stir 3/4 cup sugar over low heat until sugar is melted and golden. Pour into eight 6-oz. custard cups, tilting to coat bottom of cup; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining sugar until combined but not foamy. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place the cups in two 8-in. square baking pans. Pour boiling water in pans to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- To unmold, run a knife around rim of cup and invert onto dessert place. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCaramel Custard
"Caramelizing the sugar took more than 45 minutes (wow) of stirring on a medium-low burner. Then when I poured it into each ramekin it hardened instantly. During baking, about half of the caramelized sugar dissolved properly and made a nice-looking finished product, but the other half, still hard as a brick, could not be removed from the dish, had to be soaked off in water. There must be a better way!! Maybe greasing the ramekins with butter first? I though this was going to be quick and easy....."
"I had trouble with theccaramel sauce solidifying yet i kept to the recipe. I notice this is a common failure with caramelnsauces , any suggestions"
"The best part of this yummy dish is its only four simple ingredients which most people usually have on hand. We make this in our home quite often since its quite simple and taste so good."