- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 5 fun-size Butterfinger candy bars, crushed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes about 2 in. apart into cake. Slowly pour condensed milk and caramel topping over cake; sprinkle with two-thirds of the crushed candy bars. Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with remaining candy bars. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews forCaramel Crunch Cake
"This is sooooo good! I remember this recipe was popular when I was a kid, back in the 80's, and like the other reviews, it was called Better Than Sex cake. There's another dessert called The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford, but I don't think it's this one, but very similar. Like I said, it was a long time ago, lol!! I think I'll try it next time with Reese's, like KatherineSchleich. My hubby would love that!!!"
"I would skip the frosting here entirely. Try a different version: using a stand mixer with a whipping attachment, whip one small container of heavy whipping cream, beating until the consistency is thick enough to stick to the whip. Add one small box of butterscotch pudding mix and mix until incorporated. Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate. You can drizzle warm caramel over the cake and let it run over the side. This is a not-too-overly sweet cake that satisfies!"
"Probably would not use the whole can of sweetened condensed milk & would use more caramel...pretty sweet!"
"Very good and easy to make. The first two days the cake was absolutely delicious! The only complaint is that the butterfinger candies dissolved on top after the second day in the refrigerator and it didn't look very appetizing after that. We could barely finish the entire cake. Might try making it a layer cake next time. Not too soggy for us. Just right. Added more than 5 candies. Yum!!"
"Wonderful and totally decadent!"
"The condensed milk made it too sweet and too soggy."
"This cake was so yummy! Took it to a bbq and it was gone in a flash"