- 4-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 15 large egg yolks
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons caramel extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, heat whipping cream and cream until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, extract and salt until blended but not foamy. Slowly stir in hot cream mixture.
- Place an ungreased broiler-safe 13x9-in. baking dish in a baking pan large enough to hold it without touching. Pour egg mixture into dish. Place pan on oven rack; add very hot water to pan to within 1 in. of top of dish. Bake until center is just set and top appears dull, 40-50 minutes. Immediately remove dish from water bath to a wire rack; cool 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold.
- Mix brown sugar and remaining granulated sugar. To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, sprinkle custard evenly with sugar mixture. Hold torch flame about 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour.
- To caramelize topping in a broiler; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle custard evenly with sugar mixture. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until sugar is caramelized, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour. Yield: 14 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews forCaramel Creme Brulee
"My first Creme Brulee, and it was so easy and worthy of a repeat! I did alter the recipe just a bit so it was a little more economical to prepare. I used 1 quart of whipping cream and 1 pint of half & half. I did not have caramel flavoring, so substituted butter rum and next time will only use 2 tsp, as I thought it was a bit strong. But making a 9x13" pan makes preparing this decadent dessert a snap and it serves a lot without the need of individual ramekins. I sliced it with a knife and served it with a spatula and it came out of the dish easily. Two thumbs up with my picky eaters, and it was restaurant worthy!"