Caramel Crackers ‘n’ Nuts
Here is a favorite snack of mine that I find addictive. I love to give them as gifts during the holidays in gift wrapped covered coffee cans with a plastic bag lining the inside.—Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makesabout 3 quarts
- 2 packages (6.6 ounces each) miniature cheddar cheese fish-shaped crackers
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large greased bowl, combine crackers and peanuts; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over cracker mixture; quickly stir until evenly coated.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool; break apart. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 196 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Crackers in Country Woman Christmas 2008