Caramel Crackers ‘n’ Nuts
Here is a favorite snack of mine that I find addictive. I love to give them as gifts during the holidays in gift wrapped covered coffee cans with a plastic bag lining the inside.—Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makesabout 3 quarts
- 2 packages (6.6 ounces each) miniature cheddar cheese fish-shaped crackers
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large greased bowl, combine crackers and peanuts; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over cracker mixture; quickly stir until evenly coated.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool; break apart. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 196 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Crackers in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.