Caramel Covered Banana Fritters
"This is my family's favorite twist on a banana split," says Heidi Duquette of Morrisonville, New York. "It's delicious on a warm summer night."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 4 large firm bananas, cut into quarters
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and chopped pecans, optional
- Place flour in a small bowl. Combine egg and soda; stir into flour just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Coat banana pieces with batter. Fry bananas, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Drizzle with caramel topping. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream and pecans if desired.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for 1 cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts4 pieces: 594 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 115g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Banana Fritters with Caramel Sauce in Country Woman August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.