Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
My husband and our four sons are delighted when I bake these sweetly satisfying cinnamon rolls with a terrific caramel glaze. They make any meal special.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, potatoes, eggs, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle; spread with melted butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices; place cut side down in three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 27-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the cream, sugars and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallows until melted. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 293 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Cinnamon Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.