Caramel-Chocolate Crunch Bars
“These bars are lower in calories and are just scrumptious,” says Agnes Ward. “The Grape-Nuts and oatmeal gives them a nice nutty crunch.” With caramel and chocolate on top, you'd never guess these are light.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with heavy-duty foil. Coat foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the oats, flour and cereal; mix well. Pat into prepared pan.
- Drizzle caramel topping to within 1/2 in. of edges. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 1 minute longer. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Caramel Chocolate Crunch Bars in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.