Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 caramels, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until easy to handle.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough around caramel pieces. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and enough water to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with pecans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 87 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 5, 2012
I found this recipe several years ago in a TOH magazine and have been making them every Christmas since. I like having a pretty decorated chocolate cookie on my Christmas cookie tray. My family loves the caramel surprise!
Dec 1, 2009
Excellent cookies!! Great taste and fun to make!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.