Caramel Chip Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 32 caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces), chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, caramels and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil and eggs until blended. Stir in chips and chopped candy bar (dough will be stiff).
- 3. Press three-fourths into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 4. Pour caramel mixture over the crust. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown.
- 5. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of pan. Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 391 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Chip Bars
"This recipe was originally meant for the 18.25 oz cake mix. Unfortunately, cake mix sizes have been reduced to 15.5 oz. So, if you want to make this awesome bar and keep all the other original ingredients the same…. buy two boxes of cake mix. Pour one box in a container with a lid. Pour the other box in your mixing bowl and then take 6 TBS of cake mix from the container you poured the extra cake mix into and add it to your mixing bowl and you will have the same amount as a 18.25 oz cake mix. Now the recipe will work beautifully. And you'll now have extra powdered cake mix in your container to use for future recipes which call for the 18.25 oz cake mix."
"Stubborn, a heath bar is equivalent to a skor bar."
"Sounds delicious but what is a Heath candy bar. What kind of bar would it be equivalent to in Canada?"
"Awesome! I replaced some of the chocolate chips with butterscotch and didn't do the 3 cups of chips, maybe about 2 and it was plenty sweet enough."
"Excellent!!! I substituted the vanilla chips with peanut butter chips. Great flavor combo!"
"this is my absolute favorite desert. everyone loves it and wants me to make it at all of the gatherings. If you like chocolate and caramel together, then you will love this."
"The BEST bars i have ever had in my life!"
"Way too much caramel, outside was hard and the middle was too gooey."
"These are without a doubt the BEST bars I've ever made!! My family begs me to make these all the time and they're always the first thing requested at gatherings. easy to make but a little time consuming. Definately worth it!!!"
"My kids LOVE this recipe. It is too sweet for me, but I make it and bring it to work and it is gone in no time and eveyone asks for the recipe. Very good if you like sweet, cut in small square pieces."
"It was good, but really, really, really sweet! Cut the pieces small!"
"These were very yummy!! I did change things a bit. I used 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup mini chips. I also used toffee bits instead of the candy bar."
"These were delicious."
"This dessert is AMAZING!!!My husband will ask for the super yummy caramel bars when he wants me to make them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. My stomach thanks you, but my waist surely doesn't. :)"