Caramel Cashew Chewies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup salted cashew halves, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and oats; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine caramels and cream. Cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and cashews.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 158 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 7, 2013
My family and I enjoyed the bars. The only substitution to the recipe that I made was exchanging the cashews for peanuts. My family likes peanuts better; the bars were still a hit. Some family members like theirs in the refrigerator and others liked them at room temperature. Try it both ways and see what you enjoy best!
Aug 24, 2010
Very sweet and gooey! So good!
Aug 10, 2010
YUMMY...you have to hid the caramels before they get eating though and you have to go out and buy more to make the recipe (yes this happened at my house!) I used choclate chips though since I was lazy after unwrapping all the caramels.
Jun 9, 2009
Approximately, how many caramels are in a 14 oz. bag? Thanks, Corinne
Feb 23, 2009
Excellent recipe! Loved the bars.
Aug 15, 2008
these are delicious!! very rich. the whole pan was gone in one day!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.