VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks to cool completely. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers.
- For caramel sauce, melt brown sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add melted brown sugar. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate, quickly top with 1/3 cup caramel sauce. Repeat layers 4 times. Top with the sixth cake layer. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Butter Cake in Country Extra November 2002, p37
Reviews forCaramel Butter Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review