Caramel Buckeye Candies
Dipped in caramel and drizzled with melted chocolate, these rich peanut-butter balls are also rolled in cereal and nuts. Yum! —Tiffany Voigt, Hilliard, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1-3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups white baking chips and/or milk chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream peanut butter and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until combined. Roll into 1/2-in balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm.
- In a shallow bowl, combine cereal and walnuts; set aside. In a microwave, melt caramels and butter; stir until smooth. Dip balls in caramel; allow excess to drip off. Roll in cereal mixture; return to baking sheets.
- In a microwave, melt chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candies. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 154 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Crispy Caramel Buckey Candy in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.