Bring the fabulous flavor of caramel apples to a terrific trifle brimming with pudding, pie filling and pound cake. English toffee bits add a sweet crunch.—Helen Fields, Springtown, Texas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
- 1 cup English toffee bits
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/4 cups caramel ice cream topping
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Additional caramel ice cream topping
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In another bowl, combine the pie filling, toffee bits, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl, layer half of the cake cubes, pudding, apple mixture, ice cream topping, whipped cream and walnuts. Repeat layers; drizzle with additional ice cream topping. Chill until serving. Yield: 24 servings (2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Caramel Apple Trifle Delight in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p173