There is nothing like seeing my friends almost melt to the floor when they bite into something I made. These cookies never fail to elicit oohs and aahs. —Amber Taylor, Lenoir City, Tennessee
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apple chips
- 15 caramels
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Additional finely chopped dried apple chips, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon until blended. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in 1/3 cup apple chips.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. apple-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt caramels with cream and remaining cinnamon over medium heat, stirring frequently. Drizzle over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with additional apple chips. Let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel-Apple Shortbread Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p10