Welcome autumn and Halloween into your kitchen with these muffins. The recipe will remind you of cinnamon-sugar cake doughnuts. —Julie Ruble, Charlotte, North Carolina
Recommended: 50 Pumpkin Patch Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in apple.
- Fill greased mini-muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, in a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water; stir gently to moisten all the sugar. Cook over medium heat, gently swirling pan occasionally, until syrup turns a medium amber color, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in warm cream. Transfer to a small bowl; place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until cooled, about 5 minutes. Remove bowl from ice water. Whisk in creme fraiche, vanilla and salt.
- For coating, combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip tops of warm muffins in butter, then coat in cinnamon-sugar. Serve muffins with caramel sauce. Yield: 4 dozen (scant 1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Caramel Apple Doughnut Muffins in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews forCaramel Apple Doughnut Muffins
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2016
"this recipe deserves a five star!!! my family loved them!! will be making them again for a get together"