I created this recipe after a trip to an orchard with my family. This moist cake is full of hearty apples and nuts, while the caramel frosting adds a delectable finish. —Sharon Cable, Dyersville, Iowa.
Recommended: 50 Pumpkin Patch Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand to thicken slightly. Spoon slowly over cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Coffee Cake with Walnuts in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p71