- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Dash salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Fold in the apples, walnuts and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir the brown sugar, cream, butter and salt until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a small bowl; cool to room temperature. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forCaramel Apple Cake
"My family loved this cake. Will be making anytime I want to impress someone."
"This has been my signature cake since the recipe came out in 1996. Delicious"
"This got great reviews from my family."
"Made it the first time for a family gathering and them made it again 5 days later for a neighborhood get-together - it's THAT great! I used Granny Smith apples and cooked it for the full time. You'll be a hit wherever you show up with this cake!"
"Superb Caramel Apple cake, awesome taste! I received the recipe in my Fall Taste of Home "Goodie Box". I made it for the first time last week for my family, and we were all very impressed with the cake! Then I made two more for a church function today, and received numerous compliments. I used Granny Smith apples each time, and I made no changes to the recipe, except for the baking time. My cakes were done in 70 min., moist and delicious! Thank you Marilyn Paradis, and thank you Taste of Home!"
"I just made it, super delicious!!! mmmmI used granny smith apples and i didnt put icing, still wonderful!"
"Delicious cake! Moist and always a hit!"
"This turned out perfect exactly the way the recipe calls for ... timing and everything! The only thing I did was put the cake in the refrigerator on the cooling rack to speed up the cooling. I did the same thing when waiting for the icing to cool. The only reason was to save time. I also used granny smith apples and it turned out "melt in your mouth" delicious! I'm saving it as a favorite!"
"I have made this cake twice for church events and both times I have come home with an empty cake platter. It came out moist and perfect. I did put a little more powdered sugar in the icing to thicken it up but other than that I followed the recipe as written. All I can say is yummy, yummy, yummy! This cake is awesome! It will definitely be made again and again."