- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Dash salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to batter and stir well. Fold in apples, walnuts and vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tub pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, heat brown sugar, cream, butter and salt until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forCaramel Apple Cake
"My family loved this cake. Will be making anytime I want to impress someone."
"This has been my signature cake since the recipe came out in 1996. Delicious"
"This got great reviews from my family."
"Made it the first time for a family gathering and them made it again 5 days later for a neighborhood get-together - it's THAT great! I used Granny Smith apples and cooked it for the full time. You'll be a hit wherever you show up with this cake!"
"Superb Caramel Apple cake, awesome taste! I received the recipe in my Fall Taste of Home "Goodie Box". I made it for the first time last week for my family, and we were all very impressed with the cake! Then I made two more for a church function today, and received numerous compliments. I used Granny Smith apples each time, and I made no changes to the recipe, except for the baking time. My cakes were done in 70 min., moist and delicious! Thank you Marilyn Paradis, and thank you Taste of Home!"
"I just made it, super delicious!!! mmmmI used granny smith apples and i didnt put icing, still wonderful!"
"Delicious cake! Moist and always a hit!"
"This turned out perfect exactly the way the recipe calls for ... timing and everything! The only thing I did was put the cake in the refrigerator on the cooling rack to speed up the cooling. I did the same thing when waiting for the icing to cool. The only reason was to save time. I also used granny smith apples and it turned out "melt in your mouth" delicious! I'm saving it as a favorite!"
"I have made this cake twice for church events and both times I have come home with an empty cake platter. It came out moist and perfect. I did put a little more powdered sugar in the icing to thicken it up but other than that I followed the recipe as written. All I can say is yummy, yummy, yummy! This cake is awesome! It will definitely be made again and again."