- ESPRESSO SPREAD:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a food processor, combine the spread ingredients; cover and process until well blended. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, combine milk and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved. Add the butter, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm with espresso spread. Yield: about 14 muffins (3/4 cup spread).
Reviews forCappuccino Muffins
"We gave these as gifts and everyone loved them. Love the spread!"
"Followed exactly and these were excellent. Will be adding these to the recipe book. Thanks for sharing!!!"
"I've been making this muffin for years. I actually got a proposal out of it. ( true humor- my friend is a coffee fiend if I ever met one!) will have to try the sour cream and chai version listed by lots_a_smiles. The Espresso Spread is wonderful.. I might have to figure out how to get it like a caramel macchiato too. Love this recipe, it will be a staple of yours too!"
"Very easy to make, but just a bit dry for my liking. Next time I'll add some applesauce to bring up the moisture. The frosting is good. They are at their best if served warm."
"Delicious! I skipped the frosting and instead of the milk, I added 8 oz sour cream and 1/2 cup hot water steeped with chai tea. Amazing!"
"OMG Amazing. I didn't make the espresso spread - but the muffins were so moist and tasty. I was dancing in my seat eating them and I am not normally a chocolate eating muffin person. You have to try them!!!!"
"These muffins...are superb. Presentation? Beautiful. They have those decorative little cracks over smooth, lightly rounded tops, perfectly baked. Flavor? Delicious. Rich, warm, coffee-chocolate goodness. Texture? Fantastic - perfect balance of moist and crumbly. Spread? Like coffee cream cheese cookie dough. Give a muffin a quick, refreshing zap in the microwave and pair it with some of this spread - you get warm, sweet muffin crumbles paired with cool, creamy, tangy-sweet espresso spread. I used espresso powder for the instant coffee, and these were magnificent with a cup of tea in the mornings. Because espresso and tea can get along."
"Dense but good taste"
"easy to make quite dense. I gave it 4 stars cuz it doesn't taste like coffee atall..more like cinnamon cupcakes....next time if I make these will reduce cinnamon to half a tsp, perhaps add cappuccino powder instead of coffee granules.....glaze was ok...I used a tbsp or two of honey to sweeten the glaze to my liking....it gave a touch of coffee flavouring to the cupcakes....these r better next day...my 8 yr old loves coffee flavour but didn't go any where near these ....I think it needs coffee bits instead of chocolate chips to truly enhance its cappuccino flavor."
"This recipe is ridiculously simple and easy to make with regular store cupboard ingredients. Tasted AMAZING!"