- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- 1 egg
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars. Dissolve coffee in water; add to creamed mixture with egg and melted chocolate. Mix well. Combine flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture (dough will be sticky). Shape into two 6-1/2-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Dip each cookie halfway; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper to harden. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCappuccino Flats
"I have been baking these cookies for Christmas, as well as other occasions for over 30 years. They have been the most requested cookie ever. I got the original recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cookies for Christmas. easy and quick to make. Keep a log of dough in the freezer and have fancy cookies ready at a moment's notice when needed. Just slice and bake, then dip in chocolate."
"Very good! Perfect fall/winter flavor. I don't cook with shortening so I used 1/2 cup coconut oil instead. I also added 1 tsp of corn starch to the flour mixture so that the cookies will stay soft. I also used just melted chocolate chips for the "glaze" and dipped the tops of the cookies. Rather than rolling the dough and chilling for 4 hours, I just gently folded the dough into a ball of sorts in the mixing bowl and chilled for about an hour and a half, then used my cookie scoop to put the balls of dough onto the baking sheet and baked at 350 for 10 minutes. Will definitely make these again as it gets cooler."
"Absolutely one of my favorites. A sure winner!"