Cantaloupe with Chicken Salad
This recipe is one of my favorite ways to eat blueberries. That delicious fruit is just one of the important crops grown here in the fertile Willamette Valley. They're grown for commercial use, but we usually pick about 60 pounds each summer for pies and other dishes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cantaloupe, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute to equal 1-1/2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, blueberries, celery, grapes and almonds. In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour over the chicken mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into cantaloupe halves.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 413 calories, 25g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Cantaloupe with Chicken Salad in Country June/July 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.