Cantaloupe Salami Salad
Barbara Nowakowski from North Tonawanda, New York needs just six ingredients to toss together this unusual salad. She serves it in the cantaloupe shells for summer brunches. "It's delicious and very easy to make," she says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium cantaloupe
- 1 cup cubed salami
- 1 medium cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram
- Cut each cantaloupe in half; discard seeds and remove melon. Cut melon into cubes; place in a large bowl. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each cantaloupe half so the shell sits level; pat dry and set aside.
- Add salami and cucumber to melon cubes. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, honey and marjoram; shake well. Drizzle over cantaloupe mixture and toss to coat. Serve in cantaloupe shells.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 196 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Salami Salad Delight in Quick Cooking July/August 2005