Cantaloupe Nut Bread
"Slices of this unusual melon-flavored loaf are good plain, served with cantaloupe wedges or garnished with whipped cream for dessert," relates Lorie McGuire from St. Paul, Kansas. "While it looks like ordinary bread, its terrific taste sets it apart."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe cantaloupe, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cantaloupe until blended (mixture will appear curdled). Fold in nuts.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Sep 6, 2011
I finally found a ToH recipe that i don't like! I was skeptical, but decided to try it anyway as i had some fresh cantaloupe that needed to be eaten. This sounded just way too weird and it is. I didn't like it at all.