- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe cantaloupe, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cantaloupe until blended ( mixture will appear curdled). Fold in nuts.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forCantaloupe Nut Bread
"I finally found a ToH recipe that i don't like! I was skeptical, but decided to try it anyway as i had some fresh cantaloupe that needed to be eaten. This sounded just way too weird and it is. I didn't like it at all."