"Reduced-fat sausage, white beans and veggies make this nutritious soup plenty filling. Plus, It warms you from head to toe." notes Susan Coryell of Huddleston, Virginia. "If you are feeling creative, try adding some chopped fresh carrots along with onion and pepper...or more chicken broth for a 'soupier' effect," she suggests.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage in oil for 2 minutes. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the 1/3 cup wine or broth; cook about 3 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in beans and coleslaw mix. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are heated through and cabbage is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cannellini Comfort Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p23