Ripe for giving—not to mention munching—are these tasty confections from Beverly Mix of Missoula, Montana. "I've brought batches to Christmas cookie exchanges for years, and they're always a hit," she reveals.—Beverly Mix, Missoula, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup each red and green decorator's sugar
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, coconut and gelatin. Stir in milk and vanilla; mix well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine water and green food coloring; add almonds. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until almonds are deep green. Drain and let dry on paper towels. Using rounded teaspoonfuls of dough, form into strawberry shapes. Roll sides in red sugar; dip top end into green sugar. Insert an almond in the top for a stem. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Originally published as Candy Strawberries in Crafting Traditions November/December 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.