I got this delightful a old fashioned recipe from my mother-in-law. She produced many variations from this basic recipe, combining different flavored extracts with specific coloring. —Theresa Stewart Melfort, Saskatchewan
Recommended: Homemade Easter Candy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cold mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound dark chocolate candy coating
- Colored sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Beat in mashed potatoes. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Add coconut and vanilla; mix well. Shape into 1-in. ovals; place on baking sheets. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating. Dip ovals in coating; allow excess to drip off. Decorate with sprinkles. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Easter Eggs in Reminisce March/April 2005, p49