Candy Corn Cupcakes
These moist tender white cupcakes from Renee Schwebach of Dumont, Minnesota are perfect for any occasion. For fast yet fabulous results anytime of year, choose candy decorations appropriate to the season.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- Frosting of your choice
- Candy corn or other decorations
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the lour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cooled cupcakes; decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 132 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 20, 2013
What did I do wrong? They turned out like craters. I could have put a scoop of ice cream in them. Is 3 1/2 tsp. of baking powder correct? I even adjusted it for high altitude. If someone can help me, I'll retract my rating.