- 3/4 cup finely crushed yellow tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons sour cream, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Assorted crackers
- Press parchment paper onto the bottom of a 1-qt. round baking dish. In a bowl, combine crushed chips and butter; press into prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sour cream, egg, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and cumin. Stir in chilies and cheese blend. Spoon evenly over warm crust.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a thermometer inserted in the center reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes; run a knife around edge and invert onto a serving platter. Carefully remove parchment paper.
- Place remaining sour cream in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe a large candy corn shape; sprinkle with remaining chili powder. Serve with crackers. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews forCandy Corn Cheese Spread
"I didn't find this to be to my taste. The concept is cute, but it was only OK and I have other dip recipes that are better."
"This recipe was a hit at my Halloween party! Add salsa to the recipe for an extra flavor kick!"
"I don't rate until I try it to give it a fair rating."
"Thank you Sullivcm! I think that the nice part about this recipe IS that you can make it any time AND change the decoration on top to fit the occasion."
"I believe the "review" is to rate the actual recipe, not the name of it. It's hard ot believe that no one actually rated the recipe, but had the time to bash the name of it. Forget the name, and forget about drawing a graphic on the top - the dip is very good & very different."
"The name made me think it was something I could prepare for my Kindergarten class. Not. Yuck!"
"This recipe sounds really good to me. I will definitely try it. The candy corn is just a way to use it for halloween. I think it is a cute idea. Would call it Mexican candy corn cheese spread:)"
"I havent made this, the ingedients sound like a bizzare combo.....also agree about the name. What about "tortilla tex-mex dip"?"
"I agree with Torytales. But, this recipe is not appealing to those who would make it. It needs a new name. That's all.Perhaps -"Mexicana cheese-Tortilla Chip Crusted appetizer: Halloween-style!"I know this would taste great, but is making the wrong presentation for theproper audience."
"Why are people rating this before making the recipe?!?"