Candy Cane Souffle Recipe
I came up with this recipe by modifying one of my mom's gelatin-based desserts. The pretty pink sweet is a welcome sight on the table.—Joni Hilton, Rocklin, California
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 12 candy canes, crushed (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and additional crushed candy canes, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add crushed candy canes. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in extract; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites and sugar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add salt; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add reserved candy cane mixture; beat until slightly thickened. Fold in egg white mixture.
- 4. Pour into a large glass dessert bowl or ten 6-ounce dessert dishes. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and crushed candy if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup ( calculated without garnishes): 394 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Candy Cane Souffle
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC