Candy Cane Ice Cream
With two family milk cows, I've become known for making all kinds of ice cream. At Christmas, family and friends request this minty treat.—Sandra McKenzie, Braham, Minnesota
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candy
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in honey and salt until combined. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and extract. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add candy the last 3 minutes of freezing. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
1/2 cup: 334 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC