With two family milk cows, I've become known for making all kinds of ice cream. At Christmas, family and friends request this minty treat.—Sandra McKenzie, Braham, Minnesota
Recommended: 13 Crazy Fun Confetti Treats
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candy
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in honey and salt until combined. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and extract. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Add candy the last 3 minutes of freezing. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Originally published as Candy Cane Ice Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p70