Candy Cane Butter Cookies
Whip up a batch of these special cookies to share with your friends during the holiday season.—American Dairy Assoc, Stacy Duffy, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 to 12 drops red food coloring
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg yolk, extracts and salt until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. Remove half of dough from bowl. Add food coloring to remaining half; mix well. Wrap doughs separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of dough from each portion into 4-in. ropes. Place ropes side by side; press together gently and twist. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Curve one end to form a cane. Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until firm.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 173 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Candy Cane Butter Cookies in Country Woman November/December 1997