Candy Cane Bread
A festive shape and Christmasy colors make this bread a hit at holiday time. Use cranberries for a zesty flavor, or substitute raisins or currants in you prefer.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries, currants or raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, water and butter until a thermometer reads 120°-130° (butter does not need to be melted). Pour into yeast mixture; add eggs and orange peel. Beat for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into thirds. Roll one portion into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third over the butter. Roll up from a long end. Cut into 11 rolls; arrange in a candy can shape on a large greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over canes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.