Candy Cane Bread
A festive shape and Christmasy colors make this bread a hit at holiday time. Use cranberries for a zesty flavor, or substitute raisins or currants in you prefer.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries, currants or raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, water and butter until a thermometer reads 120°-130° (butter does not need to be melted). Pour into yeast mixture; add eggs and orange peel. Beat for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into thirds. Roll one portion into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third over the butter. Roll up from a long end. Cut into 11 rolls; arrange in a candy can shape on a large greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over canes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Candy Cane Bread in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.